Kind Attention Dean/Principal of all affiliated Institutions - Guidelines for Tobacco-free Schools/ Educational Institutions
Tobacco-Free Schools/ Educational Institutions
Guidelines for Tobacco-Free Schools/ Educational Institutions.
- Display of 'Tobacco free School' or Tobacco-free Institution board at a prominent place on the boundary wall outside the main entrance.
- No sale of tobacco products inside the premises and within the radius of 100 yards from school/ Educational Institutions and mandatory signage in this regard shall be displayed prominently near the main gate and on boundary wall of school/institute.
- No smoking or chewing of tobacco inside the premises of institutions by students/ teachers/ other staff members/ visitors.
- Display of sign boards ' No Smoking Area - Smoking here is an offence', of 60 x 30 cm size inside the institution (as mandated by law).
- Posters with information about the harm effects of tobacco shall be displayed at prominent places in the school/ institutions.Students shall be encouraged to make their own posters on tobacco control themes.
- A copy of the cigarette and other tobacco products Act (COTPA) 2003 shall be available with the principal/ head of school /institution. (may be downloaded from the website of the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare www.mohfw.nic.in)
- A 'Tobacco Control Committee' shall be in place. It may be chaired by school head/ principal, with members comprising of a science teacher, or any other teachers, school counselor (if available), atleast two NSS/ NCC/Scout students, atleast two parents representatives, area MLA,area SHO, Municipal Councilor, member of PRIs, any other member.The committee shall monitor the tobacco control initiatives of theschool/ institute.Thecommittee shall meet quarterly and report to the district administration.
- Integrate tobacco control activities with on going Scool Health Programme of the State.
- Promote writing of Anti-tobacco slogans on the School/ Institute stationary.
- The Principal/ head of school/ institute shall recognize tobacco control initiatives by students/ teachers/ other staff and certificates of appreciation or awards may be given.
- State Nodal Officer for Tobacco Control in the State Health Directorate may be consulted for technical or any other inputs.