Name & Designation
Dr.P. ARUMUGAM MD (PATH)
Professor & Head
Profile - Education
· 25 Years
· A Major Project funded by UGC on “Evaluation of the quality of blood components – a prospective study” has been completed.
· Ongoing Project -Funded by The Tamil Nadu Dr.MGR Medical University Grants for the “Estimation of prevalence of Factor VIII Inhibitors Hemophilia A Patient” –
- Resolving ABO discrepancies by serological workup- an analysis of few cases P Arumugam, S Hamsavardhini, J Ravishankar; International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences 5 (3), 893-900, Vol 5 No.3 (2017).
- Chitra M , Jagannathan S. Y, Arumugam P, Ravishankar J. Prevalence of Rh Antigens among voluntary blood donors in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2016 Dec;4(12):5360-5363
- Ravishankar J, Jagannathan S. Y, Arumugam P, Chitra M. Evaluating the appropriateness of blood component utilization in burns patients. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences. 2016 Dec;4(12):5364-5371
- R.Raj Bharath, P.Arumugam. Prevalence of secretor status in voluntary blood donors . Asian Journal of Medical Sciences. Sep-Oct 2016 .Vol 7;Issue 5 : 93-96. B.Latha B, Swathandran Hamsavardhini , Arumugam P. Malaria Screening Among Voluntary Blood Donors to Find Out The Prevalence -to Evaluate the Sensitivity of Different Technique. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. Vol-15, Issue 6 Ver. VIII (June. 2016), PP 85-88.
- Swathandran Hamsavardhini, Arumugam P. Hemolytic Transfusion Reaction due to Anti-JKa. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences. Vol - 15, Issue 6 Ver. II (June. 2016), PP 140-141.
- Swathandran Hamsavardhini, P. Arumugam, S.T.Radhiga, Deepa Devi,S.Kalpana. Prevalence of Red Cell Antibodies In Antenatal Mothers. International Journal of Contemporary Medical Research. 2015;2(2).
- Uma S., Arun R, Arumugam P. The Knowledge, Attitude and Practice Towards Blood Donation Among Voluntary Blood Donors in Chennai, India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 June Vol-7(6): 1043-1046.
- Arun R, Subash S, Joshua DJ, Arumugam P. Seroprevalence of Human Cytomegalovirus Among Voluntary Blood Donors In Chennai. Int J Med Health Sci. October 2012,Vol-1;Issue-4.
- Maheswari k, Arun R, Arumugam P. The Prevalence of The Hepatitis B Core Antibody And The Occult Hepatitis B Infection Among Voluntary Blood Donors In Chennai, India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2012 December, Vol-6(10): 1710- 1712.
- Organised CMEs and workshops on various topics in transfusion medicine
- Published papers in various national/international journals
- Delivered lectures in national level conferences and CMEs held in various universities
- Professor and H.O.D was a “Guest speaker” for the CME (orientation program) for clinicians on “Rational Use of Blood and Blood Components” at JIPMER Pondicherry under the aegis of Pondicherry Aids Control Society on 18th January 2014
- Professor and H.O.D was a “Guest speaker” for the CME on “Recent Trends in Blood Banking” conducted by Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College, Pondicherry which was also attended by the Post-graduate students on 1st March 2014.
- Presented 2 papers and 20 posters in national level conferences the same has been Published in ASIAN JOURNAL OF TRANSFUSION MEDICINE.
- Trained blood bank personnel across the state of Tamilnadu, Puducherry, Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
- In 2006 acquired 22 credit points in continuous professional development from royal college of pathology.
- Professor and H.O.D was invited as a “Guest speaker” to deliver prestigious oration speech during the Madurai Obstetrics and Gynecological Society (MOGS) 24th annual conference on the oration topic “Transfusion in Obstetric Emergencies” on 11th November, 2017 at Madurai.
- Accumulated 85 credit hours and 150 credit points till now by attending and presenting papers in conferences.
- Attended 2days workshop for ToT conducted at conventional hall Mahabalipuram organized by NACO&CMAI
- “Guest speaker” to deliver prestigious oration speech during the Madurai Obstetrics and Gynecological Society (MOGS) 24th annual conference on the oration topic “Transfusion in Obstetric Emergencies” on 11th November, 2017 at Madurai.
- “Gear up for near Zero risk in TTI. A step ahead in Blood safety” by Department of Transfusion Medicine at Stanley Medical College CME, the was invited as a panelist to discuss “Recent Advances in Blood Safety.”
National Conferences attended
· TRANSCON & TRANSMEDCON-yearly National Conferences from (2008 – 2018)
· Post graduate (M.D Immunohaematology and blood Transfusion) teaching
· Until 2017 Twenty Two Students have passed and received degree in M.D (IH&BT) from this University. At present there are eleven students who are undergoing this course.
· From the academic year 2017-2018, the MCI has permitted the department to increase the annual intake of students from 03 (three) to 05 (five).
· Postgraduate Examiner in various Universities for MD (IH&BT)
· Postgraduate Examiner in DNB-Transfusion Medicine
· Tmt. Reena, M.Sc Nursing, Teaching Faculty in Tagore College of Nursing has been Provisionally registered as a Part time Ph.D RESEARCH SCHOLAR,
- Professor and HOD gave a talk on “the importance of blood donation and safe blood products” at All India Radio– Chennai on World Blood Donors’ Day celebration which was telecast on 14.06.2017.
- Written a chapter on HIT in the text book “Transfusion Update” - an ISBTI Publication 2015.
- World Congress on Holistic Health - Edited the Proceedings – The Future Health for all o ISBN 978-935300-424-8 – Year 2018.
The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) and NACO have selected the Department of Transfusion Medicine of our University as one of the training centres. As part of capacity building initiatives, trigger videos for the Blood bank laboratory procedures were developed by the BTS division, NACO. CMAI had requested permission to utilize the Transfusion Department Laboratory for shooting trigger videos.
The Department of Transfusion Medicine conducted Observes Training in Basic Blood bank Technique on BTS Regional Training of Trainers Workshop for Medical officers, Staff nurses and Lab Technicians sponsored by NACO
Organised CMEs and workshops on various topics in transfusion medicine.
- The World Blood Donor day has been observed on 14th June 2014 to recognize the services rendered by the Voluntary Blood Donors and their organizations.
- The Department of Transfusion Medicine conducted Induction Training in Basic Blood bank Techniques for Medical officers, Staff nurses and Lab Technicians sponsored by NACO
- The Department of Transfusion Medicine conducted training programme in “blood storage centres”for Medical officers, Staff nurses and Lab Technicians under the sponsorship of Greater Chennai Corporation’
HONOURS AND APPRECIATION
- Received “Best Teacher Award” on the occasion Teachers Day Celebration at The Tamilnadu Dr M.G.R. Medical University in the year 2010. Under the headship of the department of Transfusion Medicine, The Tamilnadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University received a Special Award from His Excellency, the Governor, Government of Tamil Nadu for being a best training centre.
- Received an award from the Honorable Health Minister, Ministry of Health and family Welfare, Government of Tamilnadu for producing a documentary film on Voluntary Blood Donation under the auspices of The Tamilnadu Dr. M.G.R. Medical University.
Specialised trainings attended
- As a regional co-ordinator has attended “QMS” 2 days training Training Programme conducted by NACO under MoHFW at New Delhi.
- Attended the Experience sharing and Review Meeting(ESRM) of Regional Training Centres & Respective SACS regarding Training Programmes for Blood Bank Staff meeting conducted by NACO at New Delhi on 21.02.2017.
- Attended 4 days training on Strengthening Quality Management System conducted at Christian Medical College (CMC), Vellore from 19th – 22nd June 2017.
- Attended and presented the details of training programmes conducted for blood bank medical officers, staff nurses, laboratory technicians at the Dept of Transfusion Medicine (Regional Training Centre) on 27th March 2018 during the National Review Meeting of Regional Training Centre & SACS conducted by NACO at New Delhi.
- Member of NHM-TN for formation of The Tamil Nadu State Blood Policy attended several meetings and contributed mainly about the quality control in blood transfusion service.
- Resource Person for NACO/NBTC Blood Bank Regional Training Centre. (The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University)
- Expert member in Tamil Nadu - State Working Group for Haemovigilance CMEs, under Haemovigilance Programme in India.
- Expert member in Drafting State blood policy SACS Tamil Nadu.